Thursday, February 11, 2010

AN INTERVIEW WITH EVA THE VEGAN


I spoke to "Eva the Vegan" and asked her a few questions about Masterchef.

Rob: How did you feel about not making the top 12 fianlists?

Eva:
At first I was obviously upset to not make the final 12, but it was fair as I didn't perform well enough in the challenges. I was hoping on getting into the house and showing the culinary adventures that are possible aside from eating weird animal parts. From my experience after living her for the past 5 years, I think New Zealand is open-minded and accepting enough to explore some alternatives to porridge, surf and turf and mince pies.

Rob: If you did make it to the final 12 could you have cooked a meat dish?

Eva: Yes, I could have cooked a meat dish. I would have pulled out beef rouladen like my grandma used to make them.
Not something I would have enjoyed but in this kind of competition it is about showing your determination and also displaying professionalism which may mean putting yourself last and the customer first.

Rob: Are you going pursue cooking as a career?

Eva: Yes and no. I am planning to open my own cafe next summer, so I am going to bake and cook for that but also be the owner and have the opportunity to connect with the customers in a much different way compared to working in a restaurant kitchen.

Rob: What have you been cooking lately?

Eva: The latest dinner party was a vegan, mostly raw buffet style dinner for my family who was visiting from Germany. I also invited my best friend who is a raw vegan, too. We had a blast and everyone actually enjoyed the food, despite their initial skepticism. It's always great to surprise people who have very conservative, boring preconceptions about foods, meals and especially what should be the "main dish".
Aside from that I am hosting a party soon for friends and colleagues so more experimenting is on the way.

Rob: Thanks Eva all the best!

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck Eva, my brother is married to a german woman, they live in wellington and are both vegan (as is their 8 month old son - apart from some cat biscuits he sneaked off the kitchen bench!) They are always telling me to move to Wellington to cook vegan food, and to start a vegan cafe (I used to be vegan - and although not 100% anymore - can cook up a vegan storm!) so I know your cafe will be patronised by vegans in wellington, like there is no tomorrow!! - I was sad to see you go and wish you the best for your cafe - kind regards Lynley

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow vegan I was very proud of the committment Eva showed to MC, well done!

    ReplyDelete